silently with his headphones on, a sound so comforting even though all I hear is the thumping of
the keys. The sounds you hear here mostly only on the week-ends. A very quiet morning as last was a late one for most in the neighbourhood. We went up the stairs to the studio above the garage and watched the fireworks over Bellingham Bay from there.
Even the dogs are quiet for the moment and it's nice.
A sad note: Seattle had only one big fireworks display this year over Lake Union. The display over
Elliott Bay put on over the years by Ivar's was canceled this year. I'm not sure what the reason was
for this but I expect it was about money. Perhaps it was the smart thing to do given the seeming
wastfulness of it all. The sad part for me I suppose is the thought that there were no fireworks for the residents of Lomita Vista Apartments. Many a 4th of July I watched, with nearly a front row seat from my balcony, while
a gigantic display was shot off a barge loaded with rockets red glare etc. From that vantage point
could even smell the gunpowder.
The thought that the folks who live there now won't be able to enjoy those times is sad to me. Its like the rent rising to the point where regular folks can't afford to live there after many decades of bohemian rents in a garden district. Like what kind of flower pots you could have on your deck.
Well no one hear can tell us what kind of flower pots to have!
By the way: The local "tea party" here in Bellingham was attended by what looked like to be about 10 or so folks with flags and some plackards protesting the President. Pretty pitiful on one hand and quite promising on the other.

Actually, it wasn't sad at all (the dearth of fireworks). It meant that everyone shut the fuck up a little (a lot, really) earlier than usual. Oh, did I mention: I HATE the 4th? Well, there you go. And that last 4th at Lomita Vista - with the BLUE GRASS BAND (!!!!!????)going until all hours. Meh.
ReplyDelete